Functional Fluidics supports pharmaceutical and academic partners in evaluation, development and bringing to market new therapies.
Specialized Testing Expertise
Functional Fluidics specializes in assessing blood function, with a specific focus on red blood cell health. Our proprietary testing platforms assess key properties underpinning RBC function and survival.
While well-positioned to address the needs of clients with large-scale validation studies, we also provide insights into the individual patient-level response critical for development of personalized medical applications.
Our CLIA-certified lab is available for both high-throughput cell function testing, and to assaying unique patient samples, where you may be asking the questions related to drug safety of mechanisms of action.
Learn More About Our Contract Research Services.
Proprietary Lab Developed Tests
Whether your drug is in preclinical development or it already been approved by the FDA, healthcare providers will need well-validated biomarkers to objectively assess the impact on red blood cell health, and ultimately patient health. Our suite of proprietary cell function assays can help validate assumptions or support clinical claims.
- Flow Adhesion:
Our Flow Adhesion Assays capture the adhesive properties of an individual’s blood cells during conditions that simulate physiologic blood flow.
- Mechanical Fragility (MF):
Our Membrane Fragility assay determines the stability of the intact RBC membrane, which indicates the health of the RBC and may predict RBC survival
Contract Research Services
Functional Fluidics provides testing solutions to support our pharmaceutical and academic research partners across the continuum of drug development, with a specialized focus on red blood cell modifying therapies.
- Biomarkers:Our biomarkers objectively assess the impact of a drug on red blood cell health and survival, thus reducing scientific and regulatory risks.
- Network:Our strong network of healthcare providers allows Functional Fluidics to facilitate clinical studies/trials for our pharma partners.
- Expertise: Our experienced scientific and technical team can assist in developing a successful research strategy.
Pre-Clinical Validation Studies
Functional Fluidics biomarkers can determine the effects of your therapy on red blood cell function and assess dose-dependent pharmacodynamic effects in an in vitro context. Blood samples from both human and animal models (including mice) can be used.
Functional Fluidics biomarkers can determine the effects of your experimental therapy on red blood cell function and assess dose-dependent pharmacodynamic effects in the context of clinical trials by assessing blood samples from study subjects treated with your therapy.
Functional Fluidics biomarkers can determine the effects of your FDA-approved therapy on red blood cell function and assess a proposed mechanism of action or identify optimal dosages in the context of a post-marketing study.
Why Choose Functional Fluidics?
Proprietary Lab Tests
CLIA Certified Lab
Complex Tests Experience
Strong Industry Relationships
Functional Fluidics Assays
Our suite of proprietary cell function assays can help validate assumptions or support clinical claims.
How Our Contract Research Services Work
We provide a customized approach because not all contract research needs are the same.
Customized Program Management
- Our assays are able to perform at scale to support large-scale multicenter studies that require high-throughput, reliable and clinically validated tests to monitor drug performance or potentially serve as a surrogate end point.
- Blood samples can be shipped to our central laboratory in Detroit, MI from your remote study sites, or Functional Fluidics can identify and recruit study subjects in collaboration with our extensive network of clinical partners.
- Our CLIA-certified lab is open 6 days a week with a team of highly trained laboratory technicians ready to provide you with reliable results quickly and efficiently.
Publications & Abstracts
Longitudinal Evaluation of a Standardized P-Selectin Flow Adhesion Bioassay: Potential Role for the Assessment and Prediction of Vaso-Occlusive Episodes in Sickle Cell Disease
Sevuparin blocks sickle blood cell adhesion and sickle-leucocyte rolling on immobilized L-selectin in a dosedependent manner
Impact of environment on Red Blood Cell ability to withstand mechanical stress
An approach to measuring RBC haemolysis and profiling RBC mechanical fragility
Low molecular weight heparin inhibits sickle erythrocyte adhesion to VCAM-1 through VLA-4 blockade in a standardized microfluidic flow adhesion assay
A Longitudinal Study to Identify and Assess Adhesion Indices during Vaso-Occlusive Crises in Adults and Adolescents with Sickle Cell Disease